Purchase this tutorial here: http://xondow.com/BUS-365-WK-2-Quiz-1-Chapter-12-BUS3651.htm
1. The importance of being an agile enterprise has increased significantly because of _________ and _________.
a) competition; slowed population growth
b) social networks; rapid economic recovery
c) slow economic recovery; advances in mobile technology
d) rapid population growth; corporate strategy
2. _________ are valuable to businesses because they can connect, communicate, collaborate, and do commerce on-demand, in real-time, and at a distance.
a) Multimedia networks
b) Interactivity applications
c) Broadband infrastructures
3. Which of the following is not an impact of the mass migration of users from PCs to mobile devices?
a) It has improved the privacy of users and security of corporate networks.
b) It has expanded the scope of information systems beyond traditional organizational boundaries.
c) It has torn down the walls between business, professional, and personal lives.
d) It has made location irrelevant to a large extent.
4. Which of the following is a characteristic of competitive advantage?
a) It is a long lasting edge over competitors if based on IT.
b) It is short-lived if competitors quickly duplicate it.
c) It requires the use of social media and networks.
d) It provides a big strategic payoff.
5. While of the following statements about mobile market opportunities is false?
a) Mobiles are replacing computers as the primary way to connect with public and private networks and to get work done.
b) Mobile gadgets are starting to look and feel like handheld computers, able to run all sorts of software.
c) Desktop and laptop computers are taking on more and more nontraditional duties, like streaming media to TV sets, stereos, and other household appliances.
d) Touch-navigate devices running on 3G and 4G networks create business opportunities and eliminate business threats.
6. According to Pew Research, newspapers have seen ad revenue __________ during the time between 2007 to 2010.
a) rise 10%
b) remain constant
c) fall 43%
d) fall 75%
7. Facebook’s rapid growth and its ranking as number one is an interesting and informative business case because:
a) it shows the power of IT to disrupt the status quo and transform industries.
b) it is a public company with an immensely-profitable business model.
c) it has positioned itself solely as a social network.
d) all of the above
8. In March 2010, __________ pulled in more Internet traffic in North America than Google.
9. Innovation leads to profitable growth if that innovation:
a) generates new profit pools.
b) increases demand for products and services.
c) attracts new competitors.
d) Both a and b
10. How a company generates revenue from its assets is referred to as its __________.
a) asset infrastructure
b) business model
c) corporate culture
d) organizational structure
11. Nokia makes and sells cell phones and generates profit from these sales. This statement defines Nokia’s business __________.
c) supply chain
d) value proposition
12. According to McKay and Marshall, a comprehensive business model is composed includes each of the following elements except:
a) A description of all products and services the business will offer.
b) A description of the business process required to make and deliver the products and services.
c) A description of the customers to be served.
d) A description of competitive forces in the industry.
13. Basic functions of an IS are:
a) input, processing, and output.
b) input, processing, output, and feedback.
c) user interfaces, data sources, processing, and reporting.
d) hardware, software, data, and procedures.
14. Which of the following is not a component of an information system?
15. A company believes that superb customer service and on-time delivery are valuable and critical to their success. Their beliefs and values form the __________ that influences the company’s IT investments.
b) business functions
c) social context
16. __________ are shaking-up or disrupting the ways companies do business, the jobs of managers and workers, the design of business processes, and the structure of markets.
a) IT innovations
b) Wireless networks
c) Social media
d) Social networks
17. Performance improved significantly at 1-800-Contacts after the company invested in __________ that enabled call center operators to monitor their performance as often as every 15 minutes.
a) semiautomatic business processes
b) dashboard reporting tools
c) private networks
d) social networks
18. IS capabilities support all of the following business objectives except:
a) improving productivity.
b) reducing waste.
c) facilitating collaboration.
d) automating decision making.
19. The value of an information system is determined by the relationships among ISs, people, and business processes—which are influenced strongly by:
a) fast, accurate communication and collaboration.
b) huge amounts of information that is accessible via networks.
c) organizational culture..
d) automation of decision making
20. Widespread adoption of new technology is going to __________ the usual way business is done.
b) cause minor changes in
d) have little effect on
21. What has made location practically irrelevant to doing business?
a) social media
b) social networks
c) widespread use of mobile devices
22. The 1-800-CONTACTS FREE case study showed the importance of __________ on performance.
a) daily reports
c) IT departments
23. Information bottleneck can create __________ that keep managers from knowing what is going on as it is going on.
a) information overload
24. A negative ethical impact of mobile marketing efforts is that they can be __________.
25. Critical business processes are those that improve employee performance and __________.
a) strategic planning
c) profit margins
d) business models
26. Business models include a __________, which is an analysis of the benefits of using the specific model.
a) revenue model
b) supply chain
c) value proposition
d) profit margin
27. Managers decide to increase the number of new accounts by 4.0% within the next quarter. This is an example of:
a) an objective.
b) a strategy.
c) customer loyalty.
d) qualitative metric.
28. A company’s goals are increased sales and improved customer loyalty. Which of the following is correct?
a) Sales revenue is a rather easy-to-calculate quantitative metric.
b) Customer loyalty is a quantitative metric with a longer time dimension.
c) Sales revenue is a quantitative metric with a longer time dimension.
d) Customer loyalty is a qualitative metric with a shorter time dimension.
29. In order to manage performance, a fundamental requirement is __________.
a) using real-time dashboards and reporting tools
b) being able to measure
c) knowing that the indicator is measuring the right thing
d) b and c
30. Measuring performance requires each of the following except:
a) comparing results to competitors.
b) identifying the most meaningful measures of performance.
c) being able to measure them correctly.
d) selecting the set of measures that provides a holistic indicator of performance.
31. Concern about environmental damage and reducing a company’s carbon and energy footprints on the planet has triggered efforts for __________.
a) data centers
c) green IT
32. __________ are a measure of the impact a business’ activities have on the environment, and in particular climate change.
a) Carbon footprints
b) Hydrogen footprints
c) Toxic wastes
d) Greenhouse emissions
33. Why are companies, such as Monsanto and Wells Fargo, willing to invest in the building of new data centers?
a) To stop wasting capital maintaining outdated energy-inefficient data centers.
b) To comply with government energy regulations.
c) To develop new computing capabilities.
d) To improve business process performance.
34. Ethical issues can be challenging because:
a) there are no standards of right and wrong.
b) security is more important than privacy.
c) all countries agree on what is ethical.
d) what is considered ethical by one person may seem unethical to another.
35. KD Company is looking to expand its business operations into a developing country. As part of SWOT analysis, KD needs to investigate that country’s:
a) political stability
b) economic stability
c) critical infrastructure
d) All of the above
36. __________ is a series of processes in which an organization selects and arranges its businesses or services to keep the organization viable even when unexpected events disrupt its businesses, markets, products, or services.
a) Strategic planning
c) Value proposition
d) Threat analysis
37. An organization’s __________ addresses questions such as, “What is the long-term direction of our business?”
b) critical infrastructure
38. __________ is the scanning and review of the political, social, economic and technical environment of the organization.
a) Strategic analysis
b) Business performance
c) Operational planning
d) Value analysis
39. __________ involves the evaluation of strengths and weaknesses, which are internal factors; and opportunities and threats, which are external factors.
a) Strategic analysis
b) Business performance
c) Operational planning
d) SWOT analysis
40. Price wars or other fierce reactions by competitors are examples of:
41. According to Porter’s competitive forces model, there are five major forces in an industry that affect the degree of competition. Those five forces impact:
b) profit margins.
42. FedEx and UPS have ISs that are difficult to duplicate and very expensive. Those ISs:
a) create barriers that reduce the threat of entry.
b) increase the threat of substitute services.
c) decrease bargaining power of customers.
d) increase bargaining power of suppliers.
43. __________ involve the purchase of materials, the processing of materials into products, and delivery of products to customers.
a) Supply chains
c) Primary activities
d) Support activities
44. For most organizations, if their computer networks go down, __________.
a) social networks are used
b) data centers are used to store data
c) so does the business
d) business continues as usual
45. According to Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, what is the outlook for Computer and Information Systems Manager?
a) Employment is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations.
b) A master’s degree in a computer-related field is required for entry-level positions.
c) Employment is expected to grow slower than the average for all occupations.
d) Job prospects are uncertain.
46. During the last decade, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and blogs became extensions of businesses to reach customers, prospects, and business partners.
47. The massive adoption of smart devices has created a huge base of multi-tasking users, and a market for companies to tap and target.
48. Facebook created an entirely new market and changed the game for industries who were not its usual competitors--namely, music, media, and consumer electronics companies.
49. Some types of IT, such as databases and network services, are commodities, which do not provide a special advantage.
50. A SWOT model spells out how a company creates or adds value in terms of the goods or services it produces.
51. An IS can be as small as a smartphone with a software app that can snap tags to load a Web site. Or it may include several thousand computers of various types, scanners, printers, and other devices connected to databases via wired and wireless telecommunication networks.
52. ISs have a purpose and a social or organizational context.
53. Discarded PCs and other computer equipment are waste disposal problems.
54. IT no longer creates challenging ethical issues because practices such as employee e-mail monitoring and unrestricted use of customer data are accepted as necessary or legal.
55. Strategy planning is critical for all organizations, including government agencies, healthcare, education, military, and other nonprofit and not-for-profit ones.
56. During SWOT analysis, there is usually agreement among managers because SWOT analysis is objective, forward-looking, and data-driven.
57. According to Porter’s competitive forces model, Apple, Microsoft, and auto manufacturers have strong bargaining power as suppliers because their brands are powerful.
58. Rivalry among existing firms in the industry is a competitive force that is most likely to be weak when entry barriers are low; threat of substitute products is high, and suppliers and buyers in the market attempt to control.
59. Sabermetrics is the mathematical analysis of baseball player batting and pitching performances.
60. A batch system is an IS that provides fast enough access to information or data so that an appropriate decision can be made, usually before data or situation changes.