You will choose one of the topics below and write a 500 word minimum essay in which you will take a first-person perspective of the situation, describe the debate in your own words, and provide a justified and academically defended argument for one side or the other. The essay will need to reflect your understanding of the time to avoid being anachronistic, and to demonstrate that your argument is appropriate for that time.
- As a woman in the 1950s, how would you feel about the stereotype of the wife and mother on popular television shows?
- Having been a multi-season Brooklyn Dodgers ticket holder in 1947, would you actively cheer for Jackie Robinson?
- As a parent to male teenagers, what is your perspective of the Korean conflict?
- As a World War II veteran, what are your thoughts about either the Truman Doctrine or Containment?
- As a high level politician in the know, do you feel the American public deserves to be told about NSC 68?