Headar example: William Anderson
Reaction Essay II: Police & Community
Format and Directions:
1. Write 4-6 pages (double-spaced, page numbers, 12 point font, 1 inch margins, Times New Roman) for the paper. Place a header at the top of each page with your NAME (see example above). Insert, header, “your name.” You will be deducted points without an appropriate header. Further, avoid writing in the first (I, we, us, our) and second (you, your) person. Essays and research papers should be written in third person. Do not use contractions. Spell out your words. For example, don't --> do not.
2. You will be graded on substance, accuracy, organization, and clarity of argument. Make sure that you incorporate specific empirical evidence, where applicable, to highlight specific strengths and weaknesses of the approach. In addition, you will be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
Make sure you start each essay with an INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH and finish with a CONCLUSION PARAGRAPH. State your purpose clearly (more detail below).
3. Be sure to use your lecture notes, and recommended readings from texts and other readings posted on Blackboard. You do not need outside sources for this assignment. Do not cut (or copy) and paste from the lecture notes or readings. Information usedmust be in your own words – no direct quotes. I want to see what you know – not what the author(s) knows.
4. Be sure to use appropriate citations (APA style).
Examples of within text citations: Braga and Winship (2006) state; or, a text summary followed by (Braga and Winship, 2006).
Task: Explicitly discuss each of the following topics in your essay.
1. Describe focused deterrence policing. What was purpose behind the first focused deterrence strategy, and what are its core/primary features (i.e., discuss who is involved and how it works).
2. What are the strengths of focused deterrence strategies? Be sure to discuss networks of capacity, traditional use of police/prosecution/parole resources, and the evidence of impact, where applicable.
3. What are the limitations of focused deterrence/pulling levers policing strategies? Discuss why some potential reasons why sites have not had evidence of impact, sustainability issues, and its untested application to other types of offenders.
4. Taking into account the strengths and limitations of focused deterrence, what are your reactions to the strategy? Why? (The key here is to demonstrate that you have through about both strengths and limitations of the strategy).
Note: The introduction of your paper should outline what you will discuss in the paper; And, the conclusion should wrap-up your main points.
As an example: “The purpose of this paper is to discuss focused deterrence policing in theory and practice, and to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the approach based upon the scholarly literature. First, a description of focused deterrence police is provided. Next, the strengths and weaknesses of focused deterrence strategies are discussed. Finally, the essay concludes with a discussion about …”