MANDATORY:Sources to use as references and to write the paper are listed below:
7) housing policy in the United Estates - https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=3bDcAwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=homelessness+and+housing+programs+in+florida&ots=pz70FmJ1Oh&sig=RByMRWVCqyS2kZZ_QfX5OWGL3-w#v=onepage&q&f=false
Analysis of a Community Social Problem
[Adapted from Leon-Guerrero (2008)]
A social problem is a condition that threatens the quality of life for people in a society and their most cherished values. It is a condition that a significant number of people believe should be remedied through collective action (Kornblum & Julian, 1998).
For this paper, read the textbook readings for this week. Then identify a social problem in your own community similar to one that is discussed in chapters 14 & 15. It must be a social problem that is currently being addressed through some type of community service, intervention, policy, etc. For example, your community may be addressing homelessness through shelters, street outreach, church outreach/ministry, etc.
Answer the following questions in your paper:
• Why is this issue considered a social problem? (1paragraph; use references - i.e., do some research, gets statistics, etc.) : HOMELESSNESS AND HOUSING PROGRAMS IN THE CITY OF CLEARWATER FL
• When, how, and where did this problem originate? Has it been around a while? Are we just seeing it publicized more? (1-2 paragraphs)
• What other social problems are related to this one? List all of the social problems that are related to the problem that you chose – both as a cause of it and as an effect of it (i.e., homelessness is related to unemployment). (1-2 paragraphs; use references)
• What groups/segments of the population are affected by this problem?
• Who is hurt by it? Is anyone immune?
• Think critically: Who benefits (or stands to gain) from this problem? (Explain your answer!)
• How does it affect you personally? Think about your own life and how this problem intersects with it. Address this question even if you have never encountered the problem yourself.
• What is being done in your community to address the problem – be specific (i.e., what services, policies, etc.). (This might be 4-6 paragraphs; do some research; you may want to talk to a representative of the services for information; how does the service, policy, etc. address the issue/help the victims, etc.)
• What else do you think could be done, and by whom, to alleviate the problem? Address all possible solutions that you can think of.
• What are the barriers to resolving the issue? (i.e., why is the problem not being resolved?)
• Summarize/Conclusion (1 paragraph)
• 1250 - 1350 words (not including title page and references page)
• APA format (title page, references/citations)
• Use headings and subheadings throughout the paper
• Use at least 6 references (3 must be no older than 3 years)
• Attach the Analysis Assignment rubric to the end of the paper
• Proofread your paper! Correct grammar, spelling, citations and references are critical!