see the document
My Family/Mi familiaPlease answer four (4) of the questions. All students must answer questions 5 and 6; e.g. questions 5 and 6 and and two others.
1. In what way does the film represent and empower the non-lettered citizen?
2. By portraying Mexican-Americans as the new American family, how does Mi familiaat once challenge and accept traditional notions of so-called American values?
3. Some immigrant groups have also equated education with “leaving the family behind, being ashamed of the family,” etc.How does this view affect the attainment of the American Dream.
4. What are some examples of institutional racism in this movie? What are some examples of cultural racism in this movie? How do these examples impact the Sanchez family?
5. Compare and contrast the sense of “community” that Mario Suárez presents in his short story “El Hoyo” with that of Mi familia.
6. What do you think are the defining characteristics of Anglo American culture? What part of the Sanchez’s family’s culture doesnot fit with American Anglo culture?
7. What makes it difficult for the Sanchez family to assimilate into American Anglo culture? Why do some of the children resist assimilating? What is the experience like for those who do assimilate?
8. What is your cultural heritage? What does that mean to you? Have you, or any of your family members, faced institutional oppression to your culture here in the United States? How did your family deal with that oppression? What was their means of survival? What did you gain and what did you lose through that means of survival?