As a researcher in your field, you must be able to critically assess the chosen methods of sampling in other researchers' work. Therefore, this week's Discussion prompts you to practice this skill by evaluating the sampling strategy employed in a research article. Critiquing the choices of other researchers can bring awareness to the choices you make in your own work.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 8, "Sampling and Sample Designs" in the course text Research Methods in the Social Sciences.
- Review the assigned article for your program that you used in Week 2 or Week 3, located within the Research Articles document in the Learning Resources.
- Critique the sampling strategy used. What are the strengths and limitations of the study due to the sampling strategy used?
- Critique the sample size used.
- Did the author(s) justify the sample size? If not, what is the problem with that?
- Review the handout "Sample Size Analysis for Quantitative Studies" located in the Learning Resources.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a 2- to 3-paragraph critique of the sampling strategy and sample size used in the article. Include an analysis of how sampling strategy can strengthen or weaken a quantitative research study.
When appropriate, be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the reading(s) and/or video program(s) and use APA format.