PHI 100: Introduction to Philosophy
Module 7 Homework Assignment
Directions: Choose one of the following ethical issues to discuss:
- death penalty
After you have chosen one of these issues, you will explain in further detail what the issue is. Then you will apply deontology and utilitarianism to this issue and explain which theoretical approach you agree with more and why.
Structure: Your first paragraph needs to be an introduction where you introduce the issue to the reader. This should include a thesis, which explains the topic you plan to discuss, how you plan to apply these two theories to this issue, and which theoretical approach you agree with more and why. This should be at least 100 words in length.
In the next section, you will explain the issue itself. What core argument is at the center of this issue and what are the different sides of this argument? This section should be at least 100 words in length.
After explaining the issue, you will apply both deontology and utilitarianism to it. In other words, how would a deontologist approach the issue that you chose and why? What key aspects of this theory make you think that this is the approach they would take? How would a utilitarian approach this same issue and why? What key aspects of this theory make you think that they would take this approach? Each of these theories should be discussed in its own paragraph, and each paragraph should be at least 100 words in length.
Finally, you need to explain which of these two theoretical approaches you agree with most and why? If you think that deontology takes the best approach, what about this theory makes you most convinced that their approach is the best? This section should be at least 100 words in length.
Tips: The following are important things to keep in mind while completing this assignment.
- Be sure to remain objective in your discussion. You need to present an unbiased view of this issue and how these two theories apply.
- Start early and revise often. Even just one proofread can catch many unwanted errors in your final draft which could make you lose points.
- Use all resources available to you. The LIRN Library and Academic Resource Center are two great places to start your research and to get help/feedback on your essay.
Minimum Requirements: Your assignment must:
- Be in APA format with a proper and complete title page
- Have at least 550 words following the format given above
- Be free of grammar, typo, and spelling errors
- List all secondary sources in a reference page using APA format
- Please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC) for concise APA format and citation guidelines.
- Not use any more than 20% quoted material at most. This means that at least 80% of your discussion needs to be in your own words.